CPS Statement On Community Break-Ins
We have seen an increase in car prowling thefts, and associated break and enters in Cougar Ridge:
Predominantly at night time, offenders prowling the streets within quiet communities with attached garages looking for insecurities. Having found an unlocked vehicles, offenders take the garage remote, access the garage and then enter through the unlocked internal man door. There has also been occasions where the vehicle has been stolen with offenders locating keys in easily accessible places.
We ask all residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activity, and take the following precautions:
· Ensure vehicles are locked when parked on the driveway or in the garage.
· Remove keys from the vehicle, even when parked in the garage. Keep them in a safe assessable place, but not on full view and have them away from the immediate area around points of entry to the house.
· Remove all valuables from the vehicle.
· Although garage remotes are designed to sit on the sun visor of the vehicle, I would advise keeping the remote in your purse or bag and not left in the vehicle.
· Lock the internal garage door.
· Don’t consider your garage to be a secure place, remove valuable items or ensure they are locked, I.e. bikes chained to a fixed point.
Cst Chandler #4709
Community Resource Officer
District 2, Zone 3
Calgary Police Service