Ward 6 Update From Alderman Pootmans
Hello Ward 6 Residents,
Our office has received a couple of updates since our latest W6 Report that we would like to share with you, including: West LRT public feedback sessions, West LRT landscaping, and the spring street cleaning schedule.
West LRT Public Feedback Sessions
Calgary Transit will host a number of public feedback sessions throughout April and into May. Key Transit staff will be available at the public sessions to take part in an open dialogue with customers and area residents and to obtain feedback on the existing feeder bus routes.
Sessions will be held at the following locations:
On the West LRT:
· Westbrook Station: Main Floor – Wednesday, 2013 April 10 : 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· 69 Street Station: East Station Head – Wednesday, 2013 April 11 : 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· 45 Street Station: East Plaza – Wednesday, 2013 April 17 : 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· Sunalta Station: Ground Floor – Monday, 2013 April 22 : 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· Sirocco Station: Westbound Platform – Wednesday, 2013 April 24 : 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· Shaganappi Point Station: Westbound Platform – Friday, 2013 May 3 : 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm
In the Community:
· Richmond Terminal: Wednesday, 2013 May 1 : 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· Glamorgan Community Hall: Thursday, 2013 April 18 : 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
· Strathcona Community Hall: Tuesday, 2013 April 23 : 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Transit will also have staff available at our Ward 6 open house on April 16 to discuss concerns and collect feedback. More information about our open house is available on the Ward 6 website.
West LRT Landscaping
Throughout the spring and summer this year, areas along the West LRT alignment will be landscaped with new trees, shrubs, grass seeding and sod.
During construction of the West LRT, roughly 400 trees were removed from the alignment area along Bow Trail, 17 Avenue S.W. and Sarcee Trail and another 370 were relocated to other areas along the alignment.
During landscaping, approximately 1,520 new trees will be planted along the alignment, 130 more at the Shaw Millennium Park and another 250 in the station areas for a total of roughly 1,900 new trees. The landscaping plans also include the planting of more than 3,000 shrubs.
Approximately 240,000 square metres of topsoil will be used in the landscaping. Most of this will come from the large piles of soil that can be seen on the west side of Sarcee Trail near the 17 Avenue interchange.
The tentative schedule for landscaping along the West LRT is:
• Dirt screening along Sarcee Trail near the intersection of 17 Avenue will continue until the end of April.
• Landscaping will begin near Shaganappi Park and the northwest corner of the Sarcee Trail / 17 Avenue interchange. This work is expected to go until July.
• Landscaping work will begin in the Christie Park Gate area, on 17 Avenue between 37 Street and at the Sarcee Trail/17 Avenue interchange.
• The land surrounding Westbrook station will be seeded.
• Landscaping along Sarcee Trail and at the Sarcee/17 Avenue interchange will be complete by the end of August.
• Outstanding landscaping work along Bow Trail and along 17 Ave. will be completed.
• Final clean up of the entire area along the West LRT line will commence.
Please keep in mind that the landscaping schedule is subject to weather and work may not necessarily follow the schedule as delineated above.
Street Cleaning Schedules Online
Each spring, Calgary Roads crews sweep almost 15,000 km of paved roads and getting the work done is a collaborative effort. A few days before street sweeping is scheduled, City crews will put out signs to inform residents of the upcoming street cleaning. The community schedules are now online at calgary.ca/sweep, but please remember that schedules may change after the program is under way.
As residents, you can help City staff complete the annual street sweep quickly and effectively by moving your vehicles and garbage/recycling bins off the street on the day your neighbourhood is scheduled. When vehicles remain on the street, crews are not always able to complete the job to a satisfactory level. In this case, residents are encouraged to contact 311 to request a re-sweep. Re-sweeps are done after the full street cleaning program has been completed. It is thus more cost-effective and more convenient for residents to have the job done right the first time.
Please feel free to contact our Community Assistant, Sara, with any questions or concerns. Sara can be reached at 403-268-1035 or by email at email@example.com.
Alderman, Ward 6